|Designer||Arvid Laurin (SWE)|
|Builders||Boatbuilder Lindell, Tricksons båtvarv, Motala ((SWE))|
|Material||Mahogany, carvel planked|
|1st certificate issued||1952|
|Original boat name||Complex II|
|Original sail number||001|
|Current location||Bristol, R.I. (USA)|
- Update - 10.08.2009 by Rex Howland
- I purchased Complex II in July of 2007. I donated Complex II to the not-for-profit Foundation, The Chance for Life Sailing Foundation in 2008. The mission of this Foundation is to restore and preserve Complex II, support and encourage future yacht racing talent, and support existing cancer organizations.
The boat is being restored by East Passage Boatwrights in Bristol, RI. Completion date is September 2009.
A re-christening event was conducted in Newport on July 25, 2009. Although Complex II was not completely restored at that time, we felt it was appropriate to conduct this ceremony the day after Dr. Britton Chance's 96th birthday on July 24th and prior to his departure to China and Taiwan to continue his cancer research work.
- 5.5 US 1 "Complex II" - under restoration - 16.09.2008 by Kaspar Stubenrauch
- Rex Howland informs:
Complex II restoration has begun. Scheduled completion is late April of 2009.
- "Trickson & Motala" - Boatyard info from Jens Busch (30.5.08) - 31.05.2008 by Kaspar Stubenrauch
- Jens researched about the Motala yards: "...I have spoken to Motala boatyard. It was founded by the family William. They say there was another, smaller boatyard called Tricksons, also in Motala, and the name of the boatbuilder they say was Lindell. And the Motala sailor Arthur Olsson, who had a manufacturing company named Trickson, was involved in the Lindell boatyard. Arthur Olsson had several of his boats built by Lindell, and all his boats were named Trickson (and a number).
So when the documents state "Motala båtvarv" it is the William family boatyard. And when it says Tricksons båtvarv it is the other boatyard..."
- Collecting information - 29.05.2008 by Rex Howland
- I welcome any photos, stories, or other informatoin about Complex II which Database members may have. Dr. Britton Chance has filled in some of the details for me and provided me with photos taken during the 1952 Olympics. I would especially appreciate any information and/or photos of the boat after the 1952 Olympics.
- Third owner ? - 29.03.2008 by Sebastien Schmidt
- Is it true that this boat went back to the US after her Bahamas story ?
- Second owner ? - 29.03.2008 by Sebastien Schmidt
- According to Matti Muoniovaara's source, BAH-003 was ex-USA-001, but who was the owner ? wich was the boat's name ? and the dates of ownership ? To be completed.
- Gold medal 1952 with Britton Chance at helm ! - 29.03.2008 by Sebastien Schmidt
- 1st/16 at the XV Olympics 1952 Helsinki, Britton Chance Complex II US-1 E. & C-E. Ohlson 1952 (4-1-10-11-3-1-1) 5751 pts.
Sign in to add a note | RSS feed
|Sail#||Boat name||Owner name|
|USA-001||"Complex II"||Dr. Britton Chance (1952-1958)|
|BAH-002||"Complex"||B.T. Kelly, G.K. Kelly, D.A.C. Kelly (1958-1964)|
|USA-001||"Complex II"||Dr. Britton Chance (1968-2000)|
|USA-001||"Complex II"||International Yacht Restoration School (2000-2007)|
|USA-001||"Complex II"||Rex Howland (2007-2008)|
|USA-001||"Complex II"||The Chance for Life Sailing Foundation (2008-?)|
Sign in to add an owner