|Designer||Warren Muir (Australia)|
|Builder||Warren Muir (Australia)|
|Material||Cold laminated wood|
|1st certificate issued||1979|
|Original boat name||Insurgent|
|Original sail number||037|
|Current location||Boat lost; sank in Oslo Fjord (NOR)|
- 5.5 AUS 37 "Insurgent" - Design - 12.02.2010 by Kaspar Stubenrauch
- Information from Peter Lowe:
The first 5.5m I drew the hull lines for was “Insurgent” AUS 37 – designer/builder/original owner – Warren Muir.
- A note by Matti Muoniovaara posted 21.03.2008 "BAH-007 is KA-37" - 30.03.2008 by Site Administrator
- BAH-007 is an alias and comes from the Australian 5.5 metre register. The first sail letters of this boat was KA-37 and the name of the boat was Insrurgent. The design was by Warren Muir and Robert Lowe and built by Warren Muir Boat Builders 1979. Muir brought the boat to the Bahamas World Championship races 1981. He sailed there with Peter Chapman and Robert Stoddard. After the races Muir sold the boat to Roy Solomon, a good friend of Bobby Symonette and Gavin McKinney would be the helmsman. The boat went to Hankö Norway 1982 to win the Gold Cup. Bobby was helming the boat and used the name John B.
Next year Bobby won again the Gold Cup and the boat had the name Ballymena.
1984 Gavin McKinney skippered Ballymena in Porto Cervo Gold Cup / World Championship and 1985 in Newprot Beach California.
1986 Ballymena was sold to Norway and got the name Brith IV N-43. Knut Johansson sailed the boat in Helsinki Europeans 1986 and World in Hankö next year and 1988.
1988 the boat sank in Oslo Fjord.
- A note by Brambilla Andrea posted 21.03.2008 "BAH 007" - 30.03.2008 by Site Administrator
- I think this boat raced in Travemunde 1967 for trials new three man keelboat as "comparison- boat". In this trials sailed one 5.5 also named John B by Luders, the helmsman was Bobby Symonette and the descriptions indicate the boat as last 5.5 "John B" designed by Luders.
Sign in to add a note | RSS feed
|Sail#||Boat name||Owner name|
|AUS-037||"Insurgent"||Warren Muir (1979-1981)|
|BAH-007||"Ballymena"||Roy Solomon (1981-1986)|
|NOR-043||"Brith IV"||Knut Johansson (1986-1988)|
Sign in to add an owner