|Designers||Ernest B. Fay, Alfred Edward "Bill" Luders Jr. (USA)|
|Builder||Ian Perdrian (Australia)|
|Material||double planking mahogany|
|1st certificate issued||1972|
|Original boat name||Arunga|
|Original sail number||028|
|Current location||Sætre, Oslo Fjord (NOR)|
- Designer - 18.03.2008 by Matti Muoniovaara
- All 5.5s with the 'canoe bow' were actually designed by Luders. He did the designs with collaboration with Ernest B. Fay. The idea of the 'canoe bow' might have been Ernie's idea. All canoe bow desings are found in the Luders drawing archives.
- Email received from Jens Busch, 12.02.08 - 12.02.2008 by Site Administrator
- About SWE 59: Obviously the original name and number was Arunga KA 28 (not Arunga 2 as I wrote, sorry about that)
Frank Tolhurst had the boat built by Ian Perdrian in Australia. She is made of double planking mahogany.
Tolhurst won the Worlds, the Gold Cup and the King Olav Cup in Norway in 1976 with Arunga.
After that the boat was sold to Lars-Göran "Lasse" Johnsson in Gothenburg, Sweden, and got the number SWE 59. He and his brother Bertil had the boat 1977 - 1980.
In 1980 I bought Arunga. I won the King Olav Cup in 1980 in Norway and was 5th in the Europeans in Benodet, France, the same year.
In 1983 I finished second in the Worlds in Hankö, Norway (with Pontus Frösell and Rickard Sterner crewing)
The boats name was still Arunga.
Then I sold the boat to Henning Bull J:r in Norway, and according to your list the boat got the number NOR 39.
I hope this will claryfie the history of the Arunga!
- Arunga II is an Etchell ? - 10.02.2008 by Site Administrator
- Following Matti's notes, this boat is Arunga, the #II was an Etchell with which Tolhurst won the Etchells World Championship 1978.
- Dates of ownership's changes - 10.02.2008 by Site Administrator
- Warning : dates of ownership changes you could read her on the right are approximated on purpose and set up like this only to respect the chronological ownership order. So please share your precisions when you have some new ones !
- S 59 "Arunga" - sold to Norway - 10.02.2008 by Kaspar Stubenrauch
- According to a Swedish 5.5m list from the end of the 80's, S 59 "Arunga" was sold to Norway.
- Source of infos : Swedish register - 10.02.2008 by Site Administrator
- Received from Jens Busch, Lidingö, Sweden on 1st Jan.08.
KA 28, S 59 "Arunga II", Fay bros, F.Tolhurst, Peridrian, dec 1972, 1st WCh –76; Johnson bros, 1st Gold Cup –76; J Busch, 1st KOC –80; H Bull Jr, 5th EurCh –80
Sign in to add a note | RSS feed
|Sail#||Boat name||Owner name|
|AUS-028||"Arunga"||Frank Tolhurst (1972-1976)|
|SWE-059||"Arunga"||Lars-Göran "Lasse" Johnsson (1977-1980)|
|SWE-059||"Arunga"||Jens Busch (1980-1985)|
|NOR-039||"Arunga"||Henning Bull Jr (1985-?)|
|NOR-039||"Arunga"||Not disclosed (?-?)|
Sign in to add an owner